Saturday, March 19, 2011

The World Turns as You Stare at the Door

What are you waiting for? Open up the door and walk into the life that God intended for you.

Lately, I have been reminded over and over again that the "sweet juice" of life is not found in the comfort of my home, car, job, or family.

Lately, I've been pondering on how God wants me to come out of my comfort zone and reach out to others.
For those who are service-oriented, this may come as a "not so hard" task. But for those of us who have been self-titled: introvert, melancholy, pessimist, and self-absorbed, the task seems unattainable.

Then there's the worldview message written everywhere in BULLETIN BOARD BOLD LETTERS: IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU. OBTAIN THAT WHICH BRINGS YOU COMFORT. And it always seems that the comfort can only be found in concrete, material things.

So we believe what we read, and we strive to obtain these things that will bring us a comfortable and full life. And sometimes we obtain it... sometimes we obtain it all... and yet something's still missing.

It's like we have it all, but yet feel homeless.
Homeless, did I say homeless?

In fact, we believers are homeless. We are very far away from home.
This world is not our home... that's what's missing. Our home.

In the meantime, there is a world turning while we're staring at the door.
We close our doors and make ourselves comfortable on our big comfy chairs... meanwhile, there's a world in need of what we have.
We place our heads on our fluffy down pillows, while there are people longing to know that there is greater hope than this.
While we stare out our windows feeling safe and sound inside, somewhere there is a little boy wanting to know who Jesus is.
While we close our windows and lay in bed wondering if our needs are met, there is a teenage girl yearning for the Father's love.
There is a man needing to learn to forgive.
There is a woman wanting grace and mercy for her sins.

And yet you remain staring at the door...
So what's holding you back? Fear? Doubt? Selfishness?
I don't want to be comfortable anymore.
I'm ready to open my door.

Luke 11: 7 And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.'

No comments:

Post a Comment