Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Without God

I gave someone a ride the other day. She boldly walked up to my car, while I stood at the red light, and asked if I could take her home. It was scorching hot that day, and after driving her home, I honestly couldn't blame her for wanting a ride. I told her I would have asked for a ride too, if I had to walk as far out as she had to.
Although a short ride, my minded was flooded with an array of thoughts. I quickly got the sense I that she was not a Christian, and that she just desperately wanted to get home. She wasn't much for small talk, although I tried. She seemed too preoccupied within herself to notice that God was there in that car providing for her needs. And He had used me as an instrument of His love for her. Yet, she seemed oblivious. And although my mind raced in wonder about what I could possibly say that would make those short moments matter, it was short lived. And as she turned her back and made her way out of the car, I felt really sad...

I was saddened by the thought and knowledge that just like that young woman, there are so many people who don't know the Lord. There are so many people who make a daily choice to not know Him. And there are so many people who don't even know why they should want to know Him. Would they recognize Him, if He was standing face to face with them? (I hope that by now, you know that when I say "know the Lord" I mean much more than to know that there is a God.) I'm referring to having a relationship with God, the creator of heaven and earth.

And yet with their backs turned against the creator, (I still picture the woman's back as she got off my car) they go about their everyday life---mind you, the life He has provided. And for whatever reason they are clueless...

That makes me sad. I wondered about that woman, as I drove off, feeling fortunate that I have an air-conditioned car to drive home. Nevertheless, I wondered if she was feeling hopeless. And if so, how would she make it through the day... without hope and without God.

Furthermore, I thought about all of the people who face life's challenges all on their own because they fail to acknowledge that there is a God who's got this world in His hands. Once again, how sad!

To think that tonight there is a little boy somewhere, who's dad has beat him very badly, and he's got nowhere to turn to.... without God.
And somewhere there's a woman suffering because her son has been murdered, and she doesn't see how she will survive without him... without God.
And somewhere in this big world there is a man who's been betrayed by his own wife, and he's not sure how to cope... without God.
And without God, there are so many people living life. Some enjoy the temporary thrills that come with this gift of life. Still they are left wanting more each time. Others simply don't know how to enjoy life.
And regardless, in this world there are so many people who don't know who God is. They are here... without God.

How sad!

Psalm 14:1, The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment