Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Today Was a Good Day

Today has been a good day. At least for me it has been.
I awoke to thoughts of God and His presence in my life. My chiropractor appointment went really well. I had the opportunity to chat for a few minutes with a good friend. And later another. That's always good.
I ate somewhat healthy. I spent time blogging.
All of these things put together bring a smile to my face.
Lastly and mostly, I received the awaited package in the mailbox that carried "my Mr. Bim".
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've lost you by now.
Allow me to explain. I don't usually like to date myself, but Mr. Bim was a childhood doll. A monkey in fact. Growing up I loved monkeys. I cried many tantrums asking my mom for a real life chimpanzee.
Well, I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I have a vague recollection of being fairly young and in an airport with my family waiting for our flight. In hand I had my Mr. Bim, (I only recently learned its rightful name) as another little girl admired my monkey doll. I remember letting her see it and then holding it tightly, when I heard my mom say something to the extent of "oh honey let her have it". And I reluctantly released my monkey to a girl whom I had never met before. (I'm pretty sure that was not a good day.)

Okay, so there is so much to grasp from this little scenario. I think I may have been traumatized by this little childhood event. In the one hand, my mom wanted to grant me the privilege of showing kindness to a complete stranger. And in the other hand, I learned that good things don't always last. (that will be a topic for another blog)
You see Mr. Bim was a comfort doll for me. My special traveling companion. And so as a little girl, I didn't see how giving up my best buddy to a complete stranger, was a good thing. Although my mother tried to make me see it that way.
Well, I guess now as an adult, I can see the moral behind it.
Giving my doll away could have made all of the difference to that little girl that day so many years ago. Maybe her day turned out to be a good one because of it. (I would hope so)

Til this day my mom continues to give away her belongings. If you compliment her on it, she will be most likely to give it to you.
I, on the other hand, hold great sentiment toward certain things. To the point that I can be possessive about things. Not wanting to share.

Just yesterday I heard my youngest complain when I told her to share her toy with her brother, "I don't like to share!"
And I kind of understand.
It's not always easy to give of yourself.
And to give things up for the benefit of someone else? That almost always seems difficult.
And yet God came to earth to give Himself up for us! For our benefit.

Moreover, the word of God reminds us, "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away; may the name of the Lord be praised." Job 1:22b
And Ecclesiastes 7: 14 says, "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other."
When I think about it that way, it drives me to a very different perspective. You see God blesses us all. Good and/or bad. And sometimes I'm up, while other times I'm down. What may be a great day for me, could very well be someone else's worst. While I'm gaining, someone else may be losing. And while I am laughing with joy, someone else may be crying with grief. And in the same way, when I give, someone else is receiving.
God has His way of teaching us the important things in life. Have you ever stopped to think... that even something so common to us like daily sunlight--God sheds it on the good as well as on the bad.
In essence, it isn't up to me who should be blessed or who is most deserving. It is completely up to Him. I am still learning that we shouldn't hold our "things" with too strong a grip because we may need to quickly release them for the good of someone else.
And so when I'm having a bad day, I will be reminded that someone else may be having the best day of his/her life. And overall, in the big scheme of things, that is a good thing.

So yes today was a good day. I got "my Mr. Bim" back after all of these years. I had to make a bid on it through eBay. (husband says I better keep the receipt cause mom's gonna have to pay) It has a certain kind of smell that speaks volumes of both its age and mine, but whenever I look at it, it brings a smile to my face.
A good day. I hope yours was. Either way, may the name of the Lord be praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment