Monday, August 23, 2010

He is With You Always

So I'm driving to the supermarket when out of nowhere my little girl says, "Mama, I wish I had a penny to put into the fountain because I already have a wish to make." I don't pay much attention, but respond with a "hmmm..." And she comes back with, "I wish to be with God. I want to be with Him always."
Needless to say, I wasn't prepared for that one. (I wish she would warn me ahead of time when she's going to say such show-stopping words.)

She wants to be with God always. This is the same girl, who can go from being Ms. Supreme Sweetness Delight to Cruella, in a matter of seconds. (Have you ever witnessed a five year old girl's tantrum?) What's funny is that a few minutes prior to sharing how she wants to wish to be with God always, she had called out from the back seat, "Mama, I know everything about God. I know He loves me. And even when I do bad things, He still loves me."

I can understand why scriptures say.... "for theirs is the kingdom of God".
In essence, she has gotten the basics of salvation in her little mind and heart and can express it with her simple little words.
We should know (or believe) that God loves us and will love us (and forgive us) even when we do bad things. And we should want to be with Him always. (or accept Him as savior so that we may have eternal life with Him)

I have a friend who has been battling cancer for some time now. And recently, she has been very fragile. My first emotional response is to feel sad. However, knowing that the God, who my daughter talks about and claims she knows so well, is the same God my friend has known for quite some time now, gives me some sort of calming peace.
She knew Him when she was up and about living a very busy life like most of us do.
She knew Him, when she felt alone.
She witnessed Him, when others didn't believe.
And she knows Him even now, when it's hard.

And it gives me great joy to know that she knows God. But what's even better than all of that is the fact that He knows her. That He has known her always. That He saw her heart, he sought her out, made her whole, loved her, and has never left her side. What's more, He promises to be with her always.

And so I need to soon make my way to a fountain with my daughter so that she can actually make her wish. And I'll make another... for my friend... that God would remind her that He is with her always.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son so that whosoever believes shall not perish but have eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment