Monday, August 2, 2010

I'm Right Where I need to Be

I'm finding that lately, I'm hearing of more and more prayer requests concerning people's health, their well-being, and other needs. We are truly concerned about our loved ones' needs, as well as our own. And we pray that God would take the concerns and needs away.

And it's understandable that when someone is down, we want to help make them feel better. I mean from the time we are just infants, at least for most of us; if we cried, we were comforted and made to feel better. And in the same manner, we grew up having our needs met some way or another. To the point that when our needs were not met instantly, we demanded it!

It makes me reflect a little on those who are living in distant and forsaken areas in our world. I know the needs of infants are the same everywhere, but I can only imagine that those needs are not met as easily in under developed lands.
And even so, we the "grand American fortunate" continually send out help to reach these areas in attempt to be helpful to those in greater needs.

And so when we are in need, people begin praying that things get better. It's only natural, right? We don't want our loved ones to suffer. We don't want our friends to hurt. We don't want our parents to grown needy.
I don't want my child to feel hurt.
I don't want my friend to have cancer.
I don't want my mother to be in pain.
What's more, I don't want to feel hurt. I don't want cancer, and I don't want pain!

I got my first mammogram done the other day. I got a call back from the radiologist that they will need to take more pictures (x rays). My appointment is tomorrow. Apparently, I should not be overly concerned, they just need to more views to make an accurate and precise evaluation. Okay, I can appreciate that. But I don't want another call back, thereafter. I don't want bad news! I don't want pain. I don't want suffering. I don't want hard times.

And while I whine (no I don't want cheese), but I realize I'm being a little selfish, and I can sense my pride. For God is in everything, isn't He? And He works everything out for the good of those who love Him, right? And there is a purpose in Him for everything...

2 Corinthians 1:8b-9 says, "...We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead."

"Okay God, I got it. You don't want me to rely on myself.
For what is there within me to rely on? Except for what is in you.
Because only you can bring healing. Only you can mend the hurt. Only you can make me whole...
I also understand that you don't have to meet my every need and demand when I feel you should. I understand that if I had all of my needs met at every moment of my life, I would probably turn my back on you. Because I would not feel the need for you. And so when I'm in need, I am exactly where I need to be."

Therefore, why should I live my life avoiding? Or at least thinking that I can avoid or should avoid the pressures it brings. You see, with pressure comes need; and when I'm in need, I find myself obligated to turn to Him. When I can't find the answers. When I'm totally confused. Consumed. When I'm overwhelmed with life's pressures. I turn to God. And guess what, God is there!
He's never out for a walk. He's never sleeping. He's never busy. He is there. And that's right where I need to be! In His presence. On my knees. At my last wit. In need... of Him. (think about it, it's not such a bad place to be)

Okay, so know that I am still praying for your needs to be met. But also know that if you are still in need, nevertheless, you are right where you need to be.

1 comment: