Friday, December 30, 2011

Tick-tock

Oh, but to stop the hand of time.

What would I do then? If I could climb the tallest clock tower and hold the hour hand still, I would.

It seems we're always running out of time. We are always in need of time. We long for more time.

Tomorrow night is a big one. All eyes will be on the hand of the clock, as it approaches midnight and welcomes a new year. (At least, that is in the USA.)
We all stop and pause as the seconds approach the 12 o clock hour, as if something monumental is taking place, and still the clock continues to tick away.
It holds no favorites. Time never stops for us and our inconveniences. It doesn't respect our sorrows or needs. It just does it's part, and we are to comply.

So much depends on time. People's expectations...their hopes, goals, and dreams. Births, deaths, wedding dates, travel plans, anniversaries, vacations, and other events.

So what if there were no time restraints? No due dates or deadlines.
No limits on time? What then?

Think about it for a second, if you will.
What would you do? How would you live?

I don't think I can honestly come up with a good response. I know that I'd love to be lazy and not worry about time demands. But I don't know that I'd want that every day.
I know I'd want to care for those who are in need... to be there for my mother...spend time with children in hospitals enduring pain, and the elderly who are sick with ailments. I'd want to travel with my favorite people. I'd love to watch my daughter swim and my son climb. I'd call long lost friends. I'd visit with my dad.

And yet, I know that those responses, although they are pure in heart, they are all that my human mind can fathom. My mind is so limited. Just like time is limited.

And still my mind cannot truly process the meaning of a timeless existence.
That is why heaven and eternal life are so mind boggling.

To live eternally... forever.... without and end to time?
Only God could come up with that. And only He can plan it so that it's just right. You see, when I think about eternity with God, I can only imagine it with my human mind. That is why God's plan is for us to be transformed along with time.
1 Corinthians 15:52
in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.


We will not be as we are now. We will not have the needs of human kind. And so no deadlines, no due dates, no demands.... means that we can truly enjoy eternal life doing that which brings complete fulfillment--- connecting with God.

John 3:15,that whosoever believeth may in him have eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment