Saturday, December 10, 2011

face of Christ?




Genesis 1:27 states that God made man in His image. Okay, sounds simple enough.
And yet it isn't. You see I'm struggling with seeing God's image in man.

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to see Him in beautiful newborn babies, and in those peaceful looking elderly people, and even in those dear to us and whom we love most. I can see God's image in the faces of my beautiful children, the smile of a friend, and I can even sense Him in the stillness of the night or early dawn.

But I'm finding it really hard to see Him in the faces of those who are less fortunate than me. It's hard to see Him in those that walk on the "broader path"; the rebels, or those who commit heinous acts. It's hard to see Him in the face of the lawbreaker, and the street walker, the prostitute, and the homeless.

Why can't I see Him? Maybe it's because I've always thought it to mean that God created "these men". The ones I'm familiar with. The ones that occupy the church building. The ones that I pray and share praises with.

It wasn't until recently that I began to fathom that maybe the verse was referring to all people. All men. Even the ones I don't acknowledge and the ones I don't consider worthy. Even those "men" carry the image of God.

It's mind boggling to me that "God will use the lowly to humble the lofty"--(paraphrased) but derived from 1 Corinthians 1:28,
"God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are
"
And yet that is what He does. I'm humbled at the fact that I have overlooked the face of Christ, who knows how many times.
And yet it is also good to know that the fact that I didn't notice, doesn't change God's word. Thankfully and graciously, it is not up to me, who would be considered or not. Thankfully and ultimately, it is up to God. He is the creator and we are all just a mere fraction of who He truly is.

And sadly but lastly, although I may not appear like it on the outside and exterior, I am just as unworthy and distorted as the other guy.... the one sitting on the sidewalk waiting for a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment