Thursday, August 25, 2011

Speechless

How do I begin to write, when I'm at a loss for words?

Sometimes in life, things happen... unexpected encounters, ironic circumstances, breath-taking exchanges, that literally leave you speechless. And I'm not referring to the very trendy kind of "OMG" moments and expressions.
I'm talking about those very rare humbling experiences that lead you to wonder, "How did I ever think I knew all I needed to know prior to this?"
And it has nothing to do with age, or determination and accomplishments, or anything else that would reflect my own glory. Yet, it has everything to do with how God lines things up at the very perfect moment and time. He leaves us speechless...

I know some of you by now are wondering where I'm going with this, but I will do my best to be clear from this point on. (Now keep in mind, my best sometimes falters.)

You see, I'm talking about moments like when you first see your newborn baby.
And moments like when you're standing at your friend's burial site, (your legs trying their best to hold you up) full of grief; and suddenly you feel a breeze, as if caressing your face, and a dove flies by, and a yellow flower stands out in the crowd. And somehow, though the tears roll down, you experience peace.

And then there was the moment when I received a letter from a dear friend telling me that she was diagnosed with a terminal disease, and doctors could not make any promises for her well-being. And how I traveled miles to meet up with her, only to find that the beautiful young and vibrant woman I once knew, was stricken so that she could barely move. But what a moment it was to see her smile, regardless...

And when I hear the story from an orphan who has lived his entire life without a home, without a family of his own. And yet, he tells me about how he wants to help others, and how he has found hope in God...I am left speechless.

And I wonder... "who am I, Lord?" Who am I that you should highlight my insignificant life with such meaningful moments?! That I may bring you glory? That I may praise your name? That I may claim your power? or that I may be left in surrendered humility... Speechless.





No comments:

Post a Comment