Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What Will We Do Without Christmas?

The news woke me this morning. It was over the radio. I heard the weather report, and I heard about a convicted child molester. But what I heard next, inspired me to write. Somewhere in downtown Philadelphia, they have taken down the first part of the neon sign that used to read, "Christmas Village". It has been refined to simply read, "Village".

And I thought.... "what will we do without Christmas?"

Now really, think about that for a moment.....
The world without Christmas.
I guess the reactions and responses will depend on what Christmas means to each of us. To some it's the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping. To others it's the great opportunity to serve those who are less fortunate. To many it means "family time"! And still I've heard it said that Christmas is the only time when people are nice to each other.

Christmas... what would we do without it?

Okay, so for those who love the shopping; there's always Valentine's Day and Mother's Day, and .... well any day can be a good day for splurging, right?

For those who like to feel good about serving; well, there's always a cause in need. Look around. The postings are everywhere.

For those who cherish the family times; try picking up the phone a bit more and calling a loved one.

And to those who see it as the only time that people are nice; I'm so sorry.

Christmas... what will we do without you?

Wait just a minute... we are still talking about Christmas, right?

It says in the book of Luke 2:6-7, "While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn."

Truly, this is what Christmas is ultimately about.
How sad, that we've drawn ourselves so far from it. And we continue to do so every year a bit more.
I find it ironic that the verse ends with "because there was no room for them..."
There is still no room for them today. There is no room for Him.

And yet my heart pleas: There's room here God! Look at me! There's room right here.... way deep inside my heart.
So what will I do about Christmas? I will make room for it in my heart. Enough room that the story will always play a part in me and in my life. So much so, that others will see Jesus in me. And they will know that we will never truly be without Christmas... not while He lives in our hearts.

Ironically as well, after listening to the news and making my way downstairs this morning, I looked to my daily devotional, which read, "My friend, we may not ever see our nation turn to God as an entire people. It may be too late. But let it be said of you and me that we know where the power of the universe resides... in the hands of our all-powerful God".

And to that I say,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment