Monday, November 1, 2010

Hide and Go Seek

I think every child at some point learns to play "hide and go seek". It's just a fun game to play!
You get to be out of sight for a little while and when it's safe, you come back out. My favorite part was always when I knew it was safe enough to come out of hiding and be revealed.

And yet, I know it's one thing to play the game for fun; but it's an entirely different and more real thing, when your life feels like the "hide and seek" game. So many people seem to live in hiding. Hiding the things that they don't want others to see. Hiding the ugly in them. The ugly past, the mistakes, bad judgement, fears, temptations, withdrawals, faults, failures. The list can go on and on.
If you are human, you know.
Even if you are just a bit of "alive" today, you know.

I know I've had my share of hiding. In fact, I've been very good at hiding.
Very good, until someone sought me out.
Until He found me.
And ironically enough, when He did find me, I wasn't disappointed or afraid. I was so glad he did!

You see, He called me by name. He assured me it was safe...to come out.
He held my hand, as I took the first step.
And He lead me out into the light just so...
My favorite part... when it's safe to come out of hiding... I found that only in Him.
Jesus

There was once a woman-- You can find her story in the Bible. She was considered a woman of flaws and shame. She was a Samaritan, and the Jews looked down on her. Others looked down on her because she was promiscuous. And so when she came to draw water from the well, where Jesus spotted her, she was also inadvertently coming out of her "hiding". She didn't know it at first, but she had just been found. Jesus sought her out. (John 4:7-26)

And that's what I love about Jesus. He seeks you out. And He finds you exactly where you are at. In your shame. In your hiding place. And yet, He doesn't leave you there. He walks you out into His light.

And truly, there is no better place to be!

Mark 4:22, "For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open."


No comments:

Post a Comment