Monday, July 19, 2010

You Had Me at Hello

It's one of my favorite movie lines. From Jerry McGuire.
For a long while there, I was a big fan. I suppose most people can recall the scene, when Tom Cruise comes in and interrupts the ladies' support group meeting, and says, "I'm looking for my wife".
They all stare in awe as he approaches her, and he begins to explain how he was so wrong to let her go, and he goes on and on with more words than I can remember because all I remember is his "wife's" response. "You had me at hello".

Meaning she didn't need all of the explanations. Just seeing him come into the room looking for her, was enough to take her breath away. As if she had been awaiting that moment her entire life. And the moment had finally come. Someone cared enough to search her out.
I call it "feeling loved".

Nothing else in life can touch you as profoundly as the feeling of being loved.

It's like a newborn baby looking up at you.
It's the dewy feeling on your skin on a very early dawn.
It's the warmth of a fiery summer sunset.
It's your child's smile in a crowded room.
It's a friend's embrace, when tears are overwhelming.
It's hearing the sound of those three words from some you love. ..."I love you"

Some things in life are so easy to accept. Some things you don't need to work so hard for. And you are taken in by the glory of it all.
That's how it is with God's love. It searches us out until we are found. How can we ignore it? Turn away from it? Run from it? Not accept it? Not succumb to it? I find it impossible.

Today as I ponder on its greatness and its permanence, all that my heart can do is bow down in humility. My heart is filled with gratitude and awe. And all it can say is, "you had me at hello".

Romans 8:38-39, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment