Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It's Good to Know Someone is There

"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Sometimes just knowing that someone is there for us, is enough. I remember a long time ago, when being in the midst of a very heated argument with my "better half"--- I recall the words: hate, fault, and divorce--- when the phone's persistent ring interrupted our fight.

I took the phone call, and didn't recognize the stranger's voice on the other end. But she said these words to me (trying hard to recollect, I'm rephrasing a bit), "I know you don't know who I am, but I just want you to know that you are not alone...I've been where you are right now, and I know it's hard. But you are not alone."

I felt my blood pressure plummeting downward. I was at a loss for words, and all I could do was listen. And it almost seemed like I was listening to God Himself. He had once again, "found me". In the pit. In the miry mud. In my hurt. He reached me.
I remember feeling so convicted, humble and loved. It was like God was saying, "I love you Lucy, and I have not forgotten you."
Now I know it wasn't God's voice. However, I also know that He was the one who lead that woman to call me. You see a few weeks prior, I had left my number at some agency that dealt with marriages that were in trouble. Never expecting that I'd get a call back in the middle of one of my most heated arguments.

Sometimes you just need to know that someone is there.... For you.
And God knows that. He is very well aware of it. And so He uses people and things to reach us.

Paul talks a bit about this in Philippians 4:14, "Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles."
He was thanking the people of Philippi for being there for him during his trying times. They had reached out to him in different ways, and he was grateful.

Indeed, it is good to know someone is there for us, be it in prayer, in a monetary form, or in a physical way.

And so as I conclude, I am grateful for that woman who reached out to me, not knowing who I was. Nor how that call changed the turn of events in my life.

I also think about those who may be in need today... In need of a call, a note, a gift, a smile.

May I be willing to be there for someone else.


2 comments: