Like a Deer

As I awake this morning, I'm moving extra slowly.
Cautious steps and careful moves. I don't want to go back to being bedridden, as I was yesterday. It was more like "couch" ridden, since not even the bed provided enough support and comfort for the pain that I was experiencing.

For anyone who's experience sciatica pain, I don't need to explain much. This nerve seems to go unnoticed until something happens (a certain movement, for example). Then it seems that the nerve has been awaken, and you are introduced to the sciatica. It goes from being unnoticed to very pervasive. The pain stopped me dead in my tracks the other day. I couldn't walk, and nothing I did brought relief.

It's been a week now, and I've done "meds", chiropractor, natural herbs, etc. And yet, the pain has persisted. As I lay on the couch and experienced persistent pain, I sympathized with those who live in pain on a daily basis. I specifically thought of my mother, who's osteoarthritis has stripped her of her mobility. All I could do was cry. I thought about the pain I was feeling, and then pictured my every day with this pain..... Needless to say, it was an unbearable thought. And yet, I know that many live that way.

However, in the midst of it, I was reminded of a verse in the Bible that speaks of God's strength enabling us to have the feet of deer.
Habakkuk 3:19
19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.


-Deer Anatomy - Legs/Feet
Deer are ungulates, or hoofed mammals. Their legs are well suited for running, whether chasing during the rut or evading danger. Deer also possess a great leaping ability. They bound swiftly across a dense forest or prairie, often jumping 8 feet into the air. The strong muscles of a deer's hind legs provide most of the power for running and jumping. The front legs are ideal for pivoting, allowing a deer to make sharp turns.

With those facts stated, how can I even begin to feel like a deer today? Only with the strength of the Lord, will I be able to move swiftly and go on to higher grounds. It can be applied to my physical state.
And if so, I'd be springing with joy today.

But it can also be applied to our spiritual and emotional state. Oh, that I could have complete confidence in God's strength, that I may leap like a deer. That I may not be found weak and immobile and unable to reach the heights and places that God has in store for my life. Oh that I may be like the deer, swift and powerful, enough to avoid the entanglements of discouragement or trouble that life brings my way sometimes. Oh that my legs may lift me, when needed and allow me to turn quickly away from the dangerous plots of life.

And so having the strength and abilities of a deer would be grand.
Yet, ultimately, God is the source of this strength. The strength found in God can enable me. His strength will sustain me. His strength will heal me.

Comments

Popular Posts