Trail of Bright Footprints

It's been 11 years this month that a very good friend of mine passed away. She was loved by many, and she loved them even more. She lived with the greatest desire to make a difference in the lives of others, especially those in need and those overlooked. She loved to laugh, she was loud, full of life, and she loved the color orange. At her celebration of life, we released 100 orange balloons up to the sky, and there were pockets of orange decor all around the  big gymnasium where she had spent so much of her time cheering the players on and leading the cheerleading squad. When I woke up the other day and realized it was the date of her passing, I thanked God for her and how she made a difference in my life, and then I went to work. Later that morning I took my students to chapel where we would be greeted by a special speaker from World Vision who would be sharing about missions overseas. I was feeling mentally preoccupied that morning. That is until I noticed that the speaker was wearing a bright orange sweater and orange crocs on her feet. And even the video slides were framed with orange colors. They even went on to state that orange was their theme color because it stands for "hope". I couldn't help but feel blessed that day. Blessed that God would grant me that unexpected but loud reminder of my friend, and also blessed by her life while I knew her. 

Sitting back now, I think about how in life I've seen people come and go. Some leaving a trail of regrets and or resentments and others leaving bright footprints leading all the way up to God's door. I remember being at my grandmother's funeral, for example. I was 19 years old, and I remember looking at my grandfather's solemn face. I recall thinking that was a face of regret and possibly shame. It is a hard reality when you realize you can't undo the wrongs you're guilty of, and it is too late to reconcile the damage you're responsible for. 

And yet still I learn a lot from those whose life would lead us astray, as well as, those whose influence bring us to higher grounds. You see while we are here in this earthly life, this side of eternity, we are all making a difference whether we realize it or not. Our daily choices determine how we live and either we leave a selfish mark or a selfless one on the calendar. 

Speaking of calendars, it seems like they are going extinct. But I hope I'm not the only one who still appreciates having an actual hard copy of a calendar at hand. Something about it brings me comfort, as it plays a role of keeping me on track. I have this habit of checking off the days on my calendar. I guess it allows me to see the progress that takes place day by day. Or maybe it just gives me a visual reminder that this day is complete and this too shall pass. And tomorrow may or may not come. We make plans, we celebrate, we have bad days, and unexpected glorious days. But ultimately, we see how times passes us by. And on that calendar we can find traces and clues on what our lives consist of and how we live the fleeting moments of this thing we call life. 

Some people wake up in the morning with a script that tells them they are to live with a higher purpose. Some people wake up feeling defeated and unsure about how they will make it through the 24. Others surrender it all before a Living God relying on Him fully, knowing full well they will fall off completely if it isn't for God's favor and mercy. Some people live mindfully and intentionally wanting to make a positive effect on those around them. While others are determined to make the day about how their needs will be met and satisfied. But at the end of the day, what will we leave behind? Will we leave this world a little better than we first entered it? Will we leave trails of blessings or trails of tears? Will others remember us because of how we inspired or how we conspired?  Will our passing be one of great loss for others or one that no one will mourn? We may not know the exact answers for those questions, but if we take inventory on what our day to day looks like right now, it should give us an idea.  Better yet, it gives us an opportunity to make necessary changes now while the day is young. Because at the end of the day, no one can take back what was said or left unsaid, and no one can go back and undo what is done. So choose today. Walk in the light. Shun wrongdoing. Bring joy. Lose contempt. Repent now. Don't wait til later. Forgive. Love. Live. And give God the honor and praise. Because on this side of eternity we are all in training. The real living comes later. When faced with our creator. 

I'll leave you with this. "Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years. He died, to no one’s regret." (2 Chronicles 21:20)  This scripture has always caught my attention. For obvious reasons. To think of dying to no one's regret. What a sad death. Jehoram was evil and committed a lot of brutal sins and crimes. He was the son of a good king, yet he became a very bad one. He died of a disease that caused his intestines to literally fall out. Yet, no one cared when he died.  And so I pray. "God let not my life be one in vain. Let not my heart be drawn to sin. Instead, let me be drawn to live out this gift as an outpour back to you. That I may share this abundant gift with those around me, pointing them back to you, the Gift giver. That at the end of the day, on that last, box I check off on my calendar, at least one person will have been blessed by my presence. And furthermore, that when I leave this earth, others will say, she left a positive mark and a trail of bright footprints leading up to your Golden Gates." 

Okay now my friend, let's get out there and live by choosing wisely today.  Talk to you soon!

In memory of my good friend Traci Hoffman





Comments

Popular Posts