Saturday, January 3, 2015

Chasing the Winds

Ever try chasing after the wind?  It is pointless, I know.  And try as you might, you will never catch it.  That's the simile the Proverbs use to describe what chasing after the things of this world is like.  In essence, it is in vain that we chase after things.  And yet, we keep chasing...

There's something about us that makes us want to explore.  Something about us that makes us curious and wonder about the what ifs.... What if I were smarter?  What if I were thinner?  What if I tried harder?  What if I could make them love me?  What if I stay... what if I go?

And some of us are a little more gutsy than others.  And we don't just ask the question, we actually do go!  We study harder.  We get thinner.  We try harder.  And we do whatever necessary to get what we want.

But what is it that we want?   And do we want too much?  And how much is too much?  Is there such a thing as "enough"?  Some of us strive to find the answers to these and more questions.  And we do not tire until we find out.  And so we take the risks and chances.  We face the challenges and we attain victories.  Only to find out that the accomplishments are but temporary because we find ourselves wanting still more.  And we are never satisfied.  One degree leads to another.  One relationship leads to the next.  One promotion points to the other... and so on and so on.

We envy what others have.  We discreetly wish for that which belongs to our neighbors and friends.  And I don't just mean material things.  We chase after relationships.  Those that were not meant for us to have.  We chase after money that was not meant to be ours.  We chase after positions and roles that were meant for someone else.  And the heart grows weary and our souls tire, and we become restless.  Just as restless as the winds.  Still we chase the winds of life.

And here's what happens while we find ourselves busy chasing....  While we're out looking, and wondering, and wanting, we miss what was intended for us.  While we're gone desiring something more or simply something other than what we have, we lose sight of the purpose and beauty of what is actually ours.  Isnt' that how it happens for many broken marriages?  We're so busy chasing after the "fairy tale" ending, that we can hardly see the everyday commitment of a loyal spouse.  We're so entertained by the seemingly glorious lifestyle someone else proposes, that we forsake the person who is constant and present in our lives.  We get so caught up in chasing a name for ourselves, that we can no longer identify ourselves as children of God.  We become so consumed by the image we want to portray, that we lose ourselves.  Chasing....  it is in vain.

And it keeps us from what God has already granted us.  It keeps us from appreciating our lives.  It keeps us from contentment.  It keeps us from our purpose.
Here's what I have found.

The winds take on their own route and paths.
They have no earthly lord.
Their only compass comes from God.  Therefore, no man can attain.
Such force, who will master?
Not while on this side of heaven, can we fathom ever reaching them.
If they please, they touch us, as they find us standing in their way.
Yet, they keep moving.  No one can stop them in their tracks.
And so I stand in my place, waiting for just a glimpse of their force.
Knowing that if I try and catch up to them, I may lose sight of a beautiful display right in front of me.
If I try to chase them, I will never fully hold them.
And I will find myself aimlessly flighting and still not finding.  My place.  Myself.
For it is in vain that we chase after the winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment