Monday, January 31, 2011

Yolanda's Song

I met her many years ago.
She was tall--demanding attention. Just like her personality--- BIG.
Very opinionated, extremely strong-willed, put together, quick, always moving, determined and independent.
She was all of the things that make me feel very small, needy, and helpless.
And I don't remember how, but we became friends.
It may have had to do with the fact that I moved in 2 houses away from her home, and inevitably I needed a favor.
I've never been the "independent" type. At least, I've never viewed myself that way. So in meeting Yolanda, I found a very interesting twist unraveling in my life.

She told me she loved butterflies... now I can see why.

You see although she seemed so well put together, Yolanda was actually still evolving within her own personal cocoon. I just didn't see it...until she began to open up to me.

And she'd share her strengths and victories, as well as, her weaknesses and failures. As a result, I began to witness her glory, as well as, her everyday real life humanness. And while I had thought that we were very different, I began to see that we had more in common than either one of us expected.

My friend Yolanda had suffered many heartaches in her early life. But none could possibly outweigh the ache brought on by cancer. Some kind of rare bone cancer. --- which makes me wonder, "which cancer would be common? All of it seems rare and foreign to someone who is just learning that she's got it! Damn cancer!"
And I saw how my friend went from being a very busy woman to one that has to count her every breath. If you are in a hurry, you undermine the miracle of breathing. When you are faced with a standstill, you hear every minute breath.

I'm holding my breath for you today my friend.

It's now been several years that Yolanda's been counting her breath. She's no longer in a hurry. She's no longer standing tall. She's faced humility and has accepted the challenges. She's no longer as independent. She's not as strong-willed and determined. Instead, she's surrendered it all to God and is depending on Him. And she's claiming victory. Fully relying on Him for victory.

I mentioned Yolanda loves butterflies. And although she's no longer standing on her two feet, her "wings" are starting to take flight.

Here is Yolanda's Song:

Just like a butterfly
you are painting the sky

In all your brightest colors
you're dressed to soar high

You've gone here and there
leaving prints on our hearts

Your wings are stronger than ever
taking you very far

They lift you and free you
the wind beneath every move

You're gliding; so softly
So lovely; it's true

He took His time with you
keeping you safe in your cocoon

Knowing you would fly soon!

Victory! Sing for victory til you bloom!

Isaiah 35:1-3 "

1 The desert and the parched land will be glad;

the wilderness will rejoice and blossom.
Like the crocus, 2 it will burst into bloom;
it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.
The glory of Lebanon will be given to it,
the splendor of Carmel and Sharon;
they will see the glory of the LORD,
the splendor of our God.

3 Strengthen the feeble hands,
steady the knees that give way;



No comments:

Post a Comment